Saturday, October 20, 2012

Halloween Movie Meme from The Girl with the White Parasol

1. Who is your favorite movie witch?
The random lady at the Serbian restaurant in Cat People.  She is the first real hint we get that Irena isn't imagining things.  The way she says her line ("moya sestra") is great as well.  (I also really like Simone Simon in this movie, but it's debatable whether she is really a witch.)

2. What is the first movie you can remember being scared by?
The Ghost of Christmas Future from A Christmas Carol (the 1984 version with George C. Scott) really scared when I was a kid .  It was particularly freaky because my family would normally watch it with all the lights out with only a fire in the fireplace which gave an overall eerie feeling.  Also that music.

3. Name a classic horror film that would be substantially improved by better special effects.
There's a lot that I guess would be better with better special effects (such as Dracula and King Kong) but I sorta like that B movie feel and they pull it off.


4. Name your favorite Val Lewton film.
I have only seen two, but they are both amazing: Cat People and The Curse of the Cat People.


5. What movie villain or monster has the most frightening "stare-into-the-camera" moment?
Norman Bates in Psycho


6. What is the most irritating horror film cliche?
  I don't watch a lot of newer movies, especially horror.  One thing I am sure I wouldn't like is the immoral teens gradually getting killed that is such a staple now.


7. Are there any movies you refuse to watch alone?
  I really like watching movies alone, so I honestly can't think of any.


8. Picture an old childhood nightmare of yours. Now try to adapt it to film. Can it be done?
  Dentists, terrified me as a kid.  Actually they still scare me.  If there was a movie made about a psycho dentist, I would be scared silly.  There probably is a movie like that somewhere called something like "ATTACK OF THE KILLER DENTISTS!", but they I think you could make something really frightening.


9. Who's your favorite "scream queen?"
Fay Wray, the original


10. What is the most disappointing horror remake?
   I haven't seen many remakes, but Van Helsing is a terrible movie and it references the Universal classics Frankenstein, Dracula, and The Wolf Man.  Did I mention Van Helsing is awful? (By the way, I only watched it because my dad had it and for some reason my little sister wanted to see it.)


11. We've all seen our share of vampires, zombies, and werewolves on film, but are there any mythical creatures or monsters out there that you think deserve more movies (i.e. golems, changelings, the Minotaur, etc.)? 
    Kelpies or faeries from Celtic and English mythology.  Kelpies are demon horses that act calm until you get on their backs; then they drown you.  Faeries seem to always trick people into coming to the home of the Faerie Queen who then doesn't let them leave for years, although it only seems like one night.  Once the people get out though they normally turn to dust.


12. Along the lines of "Scary Mary Poppins," can you think of any non-horror flicks that could easily be adapted to fit the genre?
   I can see 42nd Street with Ruby Keeler as some sort of vampire ("What is this strange power she has have over producers, directors, even leading men? She doesn't have talent!") Ginger Rogers and Una Merkel could have been the stars of the first of a series of movies wherein wisecracking showgirls fight the supernatural.  I would watch it.  Also, 
Myrna Loy and William Powell as a sophisticated monster hunting couple, solving the sort of problems "Ghostbusters" does but with a taste of champagne.  
Prognosis: Vampire
After investigating Grant's Tomb

13. And now, just for fun, pick one movie monster or villain to be remade into a cuddly plush toy, just for you.

Frankenstein's Monster in James Whale's Frankenstein.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Betty Lou. So glad you decided to do the meme! I've been checking out your blog and anyone who lists Teresa Wright as one of their favorite actresses is aces in my book. I would love some "scary faery" movies (they're common enough in books, but in film, not so much). Your idea for a supernatural 42nd Street cracked me up, especially since I just watched it for the first time. I agree, Ruby Keeler is one of the most...inexplicable leading ladies ever. And I would watch the hell out of a movie/show about wisecracking showgirls solving supernatural crime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Rachel. Teresa Wright is great. I loved your article about her performance in "Shadow of a Doubt". Ruby Keeler is slightly better in "Gold Diggers of 1933" and "Footlight Parade", but still. The way she states her lines in "42nd Street" is painful. I wonder how many girls went to Hollywood believing they too could make it in the movies, because hey Ruby Keeler had made it.

    ReplyDelete